Good morning, friends!
Coming at you on this fine sunday morning with this lovely almond butter, banana acai bowl, topped with fresh fruit and homemade granola. I love acai bowls. They are normally something I would consume in the spring/summer, but lately the weather has been feeling more like spring, then winter, so I decided to make one of these wonderful bowls.
Acai Berry (Ah-sigh-EE)
Acai berries are considered a superfood because of how rich they are in antioxidants. They are also great for supporting cognitive health, and heart health. Acai berries are high in anthocyanin, which helps to reduce oxidative stress on the body. We are so inundated with pollution on a daily basis, so it is important that we are doing all that we can to counteract the effects of oxidative stress.
The easiest way I’ve found to get these wonderful berries into my diet has been through making these bowls. I’ve never actually seen acai berries in the supermarket. I’ve only ever managed to find the frozen packs of acai, or acai berry powder. I’d love to try the actual berries one day, but in the meantime, I find the frozen packs/powder works great. You can usually find the packs of frozen acai at your local organic food market.
These acai bowls are so vibrant and nutritious. I always feel so energized after having one of these for breakfast. Sometimes your body just needs a big ol’ bowl of fresh fruit, know what I mean?! 😉
This acai bowl contains almond butter which helps to add to the thick texture of the bowl, and also provides healthy fats to keep you feeling full for longer. You could also drizzle some extra almond butter on top of your acai bowl for a little more healthy fat action!
For the granola topping, I used my Pistachio, Pomegranate Granola in this bowl.
Almond Butter Banana Acai Bowl with Fresh Fruit & Granola
- 1 1/2 packets of frozen acai berry
- 1 cup frozen bananas
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 strawberries, sliced lengthwise
- 1 kiwi, sliced thinly
- handful of fresh blueberries
- homemade granola
- shredded coconut flakes
- almond butter for drizzling
- Place all the ingredients into a high-speed blender like a Vitamix and blend on the lowest setting.
- Use the tamper and move it in a circular motion around the mixture to ensure that all the frozen acai is coming into contact with the blade. This takes a bit of elbow grease, about 3 minutes or so until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
- You want the mixture to be thick, hence why there is so little liquid involved in the recipe.
- Once the mixture is blended, pour into a bowl.
- Add all your favourite ingredients and then ENJOY!