This Apple Cinnamon Dutch Baby is the kind of breakfast that will make you want to get out of bed in the morning. It is soft, it is fluffy and flavourful. Dare I say that it might even be better than a traditional pancake! You will have to try it yourself to know for sure.
WHAT IS A DUTCH BABY PANCAKE?
A dutch baby is a big, fluffy pancake that is similar to a Yorkshire Pudding. It is simply made using eggs, flour, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. It is generally cooked in a cast iron skillet. The cast iron skillet is heated in a 450 degree oven, and then butter is placed on the hot iron skillet, followed by the pancake batter.
What you end up with is this beautiful, irregular shaped, billowy pancake that is light and fluffy. The butter makes the pancake golden and crispy on the edges. A dutch baby pancake can be served with fruit, powdered sugar, syrup, whipped cream, yogurt, etc. You could also make a savoury dutch pancake, which is something I have yet to try! (Perhaps soon? Yes!)
HOW TO MAKE AN APPLE DUTCH BABY
Making a dutch baby pancake is more simple than one might think. You simply take all the ingredients and place them in a blender, and then viola! You have your pancake batter.
For this particular dutch baby, I chose to use apples. The apples are cooked slightly beforehand and then placed into the pancake batter once it is in the skillet. I coated the apples in cinnamon and butter to give them more flavour. You want to avoid mixing the apples in the skillet since the dutch baby will already be taking shape.
TOPPINGS FOR YOUR DUTCH BABY PANCAKE
For this Apple Cinnamon Dutch Baby, I chose to keep the toppings simple. I added more apples and a Date Caramel Sauce. The recipe for the Date Caramel Sauce can be found here on my Turmeric Cake with Pistachios recipe. The Date Caramel Sauce is to die for. Does it get any better than caramel and apples? I don’t think so!
SHARING IS CARING
As always, if you make this apple cinnamon dutch baby recipe, please remember to share it on social media and tag me @seasonshealings. I want to see your lovely creations!
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES
Apple Cinnamon Dutch Baby with Date Caramel
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup half & half
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 Granny Smith apples, sliced
- 5 tbsp grass-fed butter
- date caramel sauce, for drizzling
- Place a cast iron skillet in a 450 degree oven and let sit while preparing the batter for the dutch pancake.
- In a blender, add the flour, coconut sugar, half & half, eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon. Blend until combined.
- In a small skillet, heat 1 tbsp of butter on medium high heat. Add sliced apples and cinnamon. Cook for about 5 minutes until apples are slightly soft.
- Remove cast iron skillet from oven and add in the 4 tbsp of butter. Let the butter coat the skillet. Once coated, add in the pancake batter. Top the batter with the apples. Try to evenly distribute them without stirring the batter.
- Cook in oven for 15-18 minutes.
- When done, serve with sliced almonds, date caramel sauce and more cinnamon apples on top.