It’s been way too long since I had some oatmeal for breakfast, but today is the day that everything changes. Today is the day that I get back on the oatmeal bandwagon. What better way to start then with this Berry Baked Oatmeal with Caramelized Bananas, Roasted Almonds & Walnuts.
Hellllooo delicioustown! This would make a perfect meal to serve for a brunch. It’s a fancier way of serving up oatmeal. I find that baking it really allows it to crisp up and get nice and golden in the oven.
This baked oatmeal has everything you could want in it. It is honestly the perfect healthy breakfast. I love eating oatmeal as a pre-workout meal because it really provides such a great source of energy without a crash. There are no artificial sweeteners in this baked oatmeal. Just bananas and honey. You could even omit the honey completely if you wanted a less sweet oatmeal.
One of the things I love about eating oatmeal for breakfast is that it helps to keep you feeling full for longer. I find this is especially true if you add some fruit and pair it with some protein. The healthy fats in this baked oatmeal (from the coconut oil & nuts) work similarly to protein because they take longer for the body to break down, thus keeping you full! Healthy fats are so imperative for proper brain function. The nuts in this baked oatmeal add the perfect amount of crunch. So yummy!
Baked Oatmeal with Superfoods
There is also the addition of some superfoods in this baked oatmeal. I added chia seeds for extra fibre and some bee pollen for energy. Adding superfoods into your oatmeal is a great way to make it taste more interesting & also a fantastic way to get more nutrients into the foods your eating. These types of superfoods are excellent for that since they have very little flavour. They are mostly just there to enhance the nutritional profile of your food!
The caramelized bananas really elevate this recipe. They’re so soft, golden and slightly buttery. They really add a burst of sweetness to the baked oatmeal. I almost feel like bananas should always be caramelized, don’t you?! So, so good.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did. I’m looking forward to eating leftovers all week. Wahoo! If you’re looking for more oatmeal ideas or breakfast recipes, check out my recipe section here.
Recipe adapted from Sun Kissed Kitchen.
Baked Oatmeal with Berries and Caramelized Bananas
- 2 1/2 cups mixed berries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries etc, reserve 1/2 cup for topping
- 3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp bee pollen
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 bananas ripe, mashed
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1-2 bananas sliced, ripe
- 1 tbsp grass-fed butter
Vanilla Cashew Cream
- 1 cup cashews, soaked, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the berries in the bottom of a baking dish, preferably a squared shaped dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together rolled oats, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon, bee pollen, and chia seeds.
- Mix and then pour over berries in baking dish.
- Using the same bowl, add in mashed bananas. Add eggs, almond milk, honey and coconut oil to the bananas, and stir until combined.
- Pour over the oatmeal mixture in the baking dish.
- Top with reserved 1/2 cup berries, and sprinkle with almonds & walnuts.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- In the last 10 minutes of baking, start working on your caramelized bananas. Place 1 tbsp butter in a small skillet on med-high heat. When melted, add in banana slices.
- Cook for 3-4 per side. Bananas are done when they are soft a golden on the outside. Set aside.
- When oatmeal is done, remove from oven and top with caramelized bananas, a dollop of yogurt and a drizzle of honey!
- Baked oatmeal can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or frozen in an airtight container for up to a couple of months. Reheat individual portions as needed.