It’s almost the end of the week and I can hardly wait because that means more recipe testing and picture taking with my new camera lens. Wahoo! It also means that I am sharing a sweet treat aka these Banana Chocolate Walnut muffins because we all deserve a treat for making it through the week, am I right?!
These muffins are pretty magical. They contain all good things: chocolate and bananas. Can you go wrong? I really don’t think so..Believe it or not, but these babies are completely eggless. The buttermilk in this recipe acts as the binder. I was totally out of eggs, so I had to come up with an appropriate egg substitute and buttermilk did just the trick. Did you know that you can make your own buttermilk using milk & apple cider vinegar? Try it some time. It works quite well if you are in a pinch and need some buttermilk/egg replacement.
What more can I say about these muffins? They’re delicious. Soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. I highly recommend greasing a muffin tin to bake these rather than using muffin liners. Baking them without muffin liners really allows them to crisp up on the outside. My partner absolutely fell in love with these.
You could definitely use a plant based milk if you wanted to make these vegan friendly. Additionally, you could swap the chocolate for carob chips, cacao nibs or vegan chocolate instead. The walnuts in these muffins really add a lovely crunch. Bananas and walnuts were totally made for eachother, just like bananas in chocolate. See what I am getting at here? The ingredients in these muffins just compliment each other so wonderfully. I guarantee that if you made a batch of these for your loved ones, they would be oh so happy!
Banana Coconut Chocolate Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups mashed bananas, about 2 bananas
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, chopped
- icing sugar for dusting
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a muffin tin.2. Place flour, coconut, sugar and cocoa in a large bowl and mix to combine.3. Add the buttermilk, vanilla, coconut milk, banana and chocolate and stir until just combined.4. Spoon about 1/2 cup into each muffin hole until each one is filled with mixture.5. Cook for about 25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.6. Set aside to cool for 2 minutes in the tins. Dust with icing sugar.