It’s Sunday. You know what that means? That means I have more time to spend in the kitchen crafting recipes, like this recipe for these amazing Beetroot Buttermilk Belgian Waffles! I am always excited to share new recipes on the blog, but I am really excited to share the recipe for these waffles, because they are just SO good (and pretty!).
You know, it’s funny…I feel like I very rarely make waffles. I always opt for pancakes. I’m not sure why that is. Do you have a preference towards one or the other? I’m thinking waffles don’t get enough love in my household, but maybe the discovery of this wonderful waffle recipe will change all of that? Yes, I think so!
These beetroot buttermilk belgian waffles truly are delicious. They are crispy on the outside and perfectly moist on the inside. The buttermilk really makes for a fluffy waffle. Buttermilk is definitely a key ingredient if you are trying to achieve that fluffy consistency. In addition to buttermilk, these waffles have a bit of spice in them, like cardamom and cinnamon. The flavour is very mild but I find it compliments beet flavour well.
Of course, there is also beetroot in these waffles. I used Salus Beet Crystals, rather than actual beetroot. I have talked about beet crystals on the blog before. Check out other recipes on my blog containing beet crystals here. Beet crystals come from juiced beets, so they are very concentrated. They’re great to add in to your baking, smoothies or even water because they blend up so nicely. Beets are super rich in iron, as well as cleansing to the blood. I am always looking for ways to sneak veggies into my meals. I love the idea of putting different veggies into batters. Great to get those picky eaters on board with eating vegetables!
The chocolate sauce, raspberries and coconut whip cream make for the most perfect topping for this recipe. The tartness of the raspberries paired with the sweetness of the coconut whip cream & the chocolate are all a match made in heaven. Share this recipe with your lovers! You’ll definitely get them on your good side. I promise. 😉
Beetroot Buttermilk Belgian Waffles
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2-3 tbsp beet crystals
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- coconut whip cream, fresh raspberries and icing sugar for topping
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tsp organic coconut oil
- Pre-heat and grease a waffle iron. Start working on the chocolate sauce by combining the coconut cream, cacao powder and honey in a small saucepan on low-medium heat. Whisk until mixture comes together and there are no clumps.
- When the mixture is thoroughly blended, add in the coconut oil. Whisk to combine. Take off heat and cover. Set aside.
- Work on the waffle batter by combining all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. Combine wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Your batter should be a magenta pink colour. It’s beautiful! (This part gets me excited, hehe)
- Pour 1/3 of the mixture onto the waffle iron and follow your waffle iron’s instructions for completion times. Repeat with remaining batter until done.
- Serve waffles with a dollop of coconut whip cream, chocolate sauce, fresh raspberries and icing sugar. Yum!