This Breakfast Egg Bake with Challah, Sausage & Spinach is the perfect meal to serve for your brunch parties. It takes the traditional breakfast casserole to new heights. The challah bread soaks up all the wonderful flavours from the cream, sausage and herbs, providing a soft and moist texture to the dish.
ANATOMY OF A BREAKFAST EGG BAKE
I have to say, I’ve never made an egg bake quite like this before. I’ve made your typical egg casseroles and quiches, but this is totally different. The foundation of this egg bake is bread, Challah bread to be specific.
WHAT IS CHALLAH?
Challah is a Jewish braid that is braided and typically consumed during religious holidays. It is a beautiful bread with a soft and fluffy texture due to its high egg content. It is very similar to Brioche bread. I picked some Challah up from one of the bakeries at the Calgary Farmers Market.
Originally going to get some brioche bread but I opted for the Challah instead because it was rainbow coloured! I am a sucker for brightly coloured things, so I went for it. Truly one of the coolest looking breads I’ve ever seen..
This easy egg bake starts with cubed pieces of Challah that are baked until golden brown, similar to baking croutons for a salad. The bread is then tossed with sausage, which adds more flavour to the dish. I used local beef breakfast sausages from the farmers market. They were absolutely delicious in this!
You could also use bacon, which would be so good in this. If you are vegetarian, then you could also use tofu or perhaps tempeh. I went for sausages this time since I don’t eat sausages that often.
A cream sauce, consisting of half & half, spinach, spices & fresh herbs is then added to the bread & sausage mixture. All the ingredients are tossed together and then you simply crack your eggs into the mixture and bake in a preheated oven.
BREAKFAST EGG BAKE ADD-IN IDEAS
As I was making this recipe, I was thinking about all the wonderful variations you could create with this:
Sun Dried Tomato & Spinach
Leek & Mushroom
Most veggies would go very well in this breakfast egg bake recipe. I am looking forward to testing out other variations.
Recipe adapted from Robby Melvin.
SHARING IS CARING
As always, if you make this recipe, please remember to share it on social media and tag me @seasonshealings. I want to see your lovely creations!
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES
Breakfast Egg Bake with Challah, Sausage & Spinach
- 3 cup cubed challah bread
- 1/4 cup grass-fed butter, melted
- 8-10 breakfast sausages, cooked & sliced
- 3 cup spinach
- 3 cup organic half & half cream
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 8 large eggs
- fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place cubed challah bread into a casserole dish and toss with melted butter. Bake in oven for about 5 minutes until slightly golden.
- Remove the challah from the oven and toss with the breakfast sausage.
- In a small saucepan, stir together half & half, spinach, dill, parsley, black pepper and sea salt. Bring to a simmer over medium low heat. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the bread mixture. Make little holes in the bread mixture for the eggs. Place each egg into each hole.
- Place in preheated oven and cook for 30 minutes or until egg whites and yolks are set. Serve immediately with more fresh herbs, such as dill, parsley and basil.