This pizza, guys….this pizza. This Brussel Sprout Prosciutto Pizza with Dates, Walnuts & Honey is the stuff of dreams. This is one of my favourite pizza combinations of all time. It is inspired by this pizza called “The Caveoletti” that I always order from this amazing local pizza spot in Calgary.
This brussel sprout pizza is completely made from scratch using double 00 flour (I use Anita’s Unbleached Pizza & Pasta Flour). Double 00 flour is an Italian milled flour that is generally used to make pizza & pasta. The double 00 is indicative of how finely ground the flour is, as well as how much of the bran and germ has been removed. It has a lower protein, starch and gluten count then regular flour. The dough tends to be silkier and makes for a chewy crust.
Making Your Own Pizza Dough
I’ve only made my own pizza dough a couple of times, and it hasn’t always turned out the greatest. However, this was the first time I experimented with double 00 flour and I honestly feel that it made such a huge difference in the texture of the dough. It is the best tasting dough that I’ve ever had. The double 00 flour really makes the texture of the dough perfectly chewy and crispy.
Prepping Your Pizza Dough
If you’ve never made your own pizza dough, don’t be intimidated! It’s not as difficult as it may seem. I have a step-by-step in the recipe instructions below that shows you exactly how you can make your own dough. It’s one of the easiest recipes to make since it only consists of four ingredients: flour, water, yeast & salt. It’s pretty tough to mess this recipe up if you follow the instructions. The most important part is letting the dough rest, so it can rise.
I strongly suggest preparing the dough in advance since it takes time to prepare. I made my dough the night before making this pizza and refrigerated it over night. Of course, you could definitely freeze the dough and save it to make for a later date as well. This recipe will make four small pizzas or two large pizzas.
Brussel Sprout Pizza
If making your own pizza dough is not your jam, then you can always use a store bought dough for this recipe. Either way, this brussel sprout pizza will taste DELICIOUS! The toppings for this glorious pizza pie consists of: brussel sprouts marinated in lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper, mozzarella, parmesan, gorgonzola, dates, walnuts and honey. The combination of ingredients may seem like an odd mix at first, but every ingredient pairs so well with one another. The saltiness of the cheese, complimented by the sweetness of the dates & honey. This pizza will truly satisfy all of your tastebuds!
For more recipes, please be sure to check out my recipe page here.
More Dinner Ideas
Brussel Sprout Prosciutto Pizza with Dates, Walnuts & Honey
- 2 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 cup 00 pizza flour
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- extra flour for working the dough
- 1 package store bought pizza dough , (or homemade)
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese
- 1 cup shredded brussel sprouts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup medjool dates, chopped
- 5 pieces prosciutto, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp semolina
- 1-2 tbsp semolina flour
Making the Pizza Dough
- To make the pizza dough, adding the flour and salt to a large mixing bowl.2. Add the active dry yeast to the warm water and stir. Wait about 5 minutes.3. Add the yeast mixture into the flour and stir until the dough starts coming together.4. Sprinkle some flour onto a non-stick surface and start working the dough. This should take about 5-10 minutes. Knead the dough by pulling it and then folding it. Do this a couple of times until your dough becomes a ball.5. Once you have your dough ball, slice the dough into four pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. 6. Add the semolina flour to a baking sheet and then place the dough balls on the sheet. Put a damp towel on top of the dough and let sit for 2 hours in a warm, dark place in your kitchen. The dough should start to rise! 🙂7. After 2 hours, your dough should have doubled in size. At this point you can start rolling out your dough and making your pizzas. You can also save the dough for later by wrapping it in some plastic wrap and keeping it in the fridge.
Lemon Olive Oil Brussel Sprouts
- In a medium sized bowl, add the shredded brussel sprouts, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 tbsp olive oil & salt and pepper. Toss and then set aside for the pizza.
Assembling the Pizza
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Roll out your pizza dough and shape it into a round pie using a rolling pin (or your hands).
- Start layering your ingredients by adding the mozzarella, then parmesan. Add the shredded brussel sprouts, chopped dates & walnuts. Top with the prosciutto and gorgonzola cheese (and more parmesan if you want!)
- Drizzle the pizza with olive oil & honey and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- When done, serve with squeezed lemon juice on top and ENJOY!