With the onset of Spring, I’ve got lighter dishes on my mind. During the winter months, we spend so much time indoors, hibernating and eating all the rich, and cozy comfort foods. Now that Spring is here, it is time to lighten to the load and get back to the basics. With all this in mind, I was inspired to make this Chicken Apple Vegetable Slaw Stir-Fry.
THE ANATOMY OF A CHICKEN STIR FRY
This recipe was adapted from a recipe I discovered in Eat Better magazine. It caught my eyes because I would never think to add apples to a stir fry, let alone mix apples and chicken together. Experimental recipes like this intrigue me. I love combining unusual ingredients together. You never know what wonderful new flavour you might discover! This recipe did not disappoint.
PROTEIN & VEGETABLES
This stir fry recipe starts with a combination of chicken breasts and chicken thighs. I like using both breast and thigh for the different textures. For the vegetable part, the recipe called for asparagus, mushrooms, shallots and green cabbage. Another reason I was inspired to make this recipe is because asparagus are in season right now and I really wanted to enjoy them in a non-traditional way. They add great texture and crunch to this chicken stir fry!
STIR FRY SAUCE
The sauce for this chicken apple vegetable slaw stir fry is extremely easy to make. It is a mixture of chicken broth, apple cider vinegar, coconut sugar, arrowroot powder, mustard, garlic, salt and red pepper flakes. The sauce definitely has an acidic profile to it due to the apple cider vinegar. I personally love the tanginess of it and feel that it pairs well with the apples. The vegetables really soak up the flavour of the sauce in this chicken stir fry recipe.
This chicken stir fry recipe is a lower carb option for those that are watching their carb intake or for people who are gluten-intolerant. The carbohydrates come from the vegetables in this dish. This is an excellent meal for people who are trying to shed some extra weight. It is light, yet filling because of the protein. The mushrooms also make this dish a little heartier.
I love how easy this chicken stir fry recipe is to make. It comes together in 30 minutes and you have a delicious, healthy weeknight meal!null
SHARING IS CARING
As always, if you make this recipe, please remember to share it on social media and tag me @seasonshealings. I want to see your lovely creations!
MORE DINNER RECIPES
Chicken Apple Vegetable Slaw Stir Fry
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 cup crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup shallots, sliced
- 3 cup coarsely shredded cabbage
- 1-2 cup asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup thinly sliced tart apple, (I used Granny Smith)
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Combine the first eight ingredients in a small mixing bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Heat 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cubed chicken and cook for 4-6 minutes until cooked. Set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil to skillet and add the mushrooms & shallots. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add cabbage, asparagus, and apple; cook and stir 3-5 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the sauce and cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Return the chicken to the skillet and cook for 1 more minute. Sprinkle in cilantro and serve!