These chocolate coconut cookies are probably some of the best cookies I’ve ever had. They are perfectly chewy, with a crip exterior. The coconut flakes and brown sugar really lend to the chewiness of the cookie. I’ve always been a lover of softer cookies, as opposed to a denser cookie.
These cookies are a perfect combination of some of my favourite flavour pairings; chocolate, coconut and sea salt. I ate almost an entire plate of these once they got out of the oven, and I don’t feel the slightest bit guilty about it! I decided to use organic dark chocolate chunks for these cookies instead of chocolate chips. They add an interesting texture to the cookies and make them all the more chocolate-y and decadent!
One of the amazing thing about these cookies is how crispy they are. The bottom is so perfectly crisp. I honestly feel that baking them for 10 minutes is the best amount of time to get them the most crisp without burning them. It’s the sweet spot!
I’ve been feeling a bit off the last couple of days, and have been craving something sweet. I feel that these chocolate coconut cookies are exactly what I need right now. Dare I say that I might even like these better than my Mom’s chocolate chip cookies. :O
The recipe for these cookies was inspired by Lucy Kinsley’s recipe from her graphic novel, “Relish.” A great little read with lovely illustrations!
Chocolate Chunk Coconut Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose organic flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup organic, grass fed butter (slightly melted)
- 1/2 cup organic, extra virgin coconut oil (slightly melted)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup organic brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 12 oz dark chocolate chunks/chips
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- sea salt for sprinkling
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.2. In a medium mixing bowl, mix together brown sugar, coconut sugar and melted butter & coconut oil. Set aside.3. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda & sea salt.4. Whisk the eggs and vanilla extract into the wet mixture and then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until well incorporated. 5. Pour the chocolate chunks & coconut flakes into the mixture and stir.6. Drop spoonfuls of the batter onto the lined baking sheet. Flatten each cookie with the back of a spoon for a flatter cookie. Sprinkle each cookie with a bit of sea salt and then bake for 10 minutes.7. Continue with the rest of the batter until done.