Today was one of the first very cold days we’ve experience since winter hit. Winter is definitely here! I was feeling in the mood for something warm and creamy this morning. Something to soothe my cold bones when I woke up… I must say, it’s been awhile since I put together an elixir, but I am feeling all the elixir feels now that winter is upon us! I honestly have so many different superfood and mushroom blends that I have no excuse not to be making elixirs all the time! In light of the arrival of winter and my abundance of herbs and medicinal mushrooms, I concocted this creamy cardamom mushroom elixir.
A word on Medicinal Mushrooms
I absolutely love mushrooms in all their glorious forms. They have a host of health benefits, including boosting our immune health, providing us with antioxidants and increasing our longevity . These powerful funghi modulate our immune systems and make our bodies better at warding off illnesses. How amazing is that? We humans also share more DNA with our funghi friends than we do with plants. Mushrooms have been consumed for thousands of years in many different countries, specifically Asian countries. I am truly convinced that everyone on the planet should be consuming medicinal mushrooms in small doses on a daily basis to provide overall immune support.
We live in such a toxic age with so much exposure to pollutants on the regular that we need daily immune support from our food. The amazing thing about mushrooms is that it is just that: food. Plain and simple. I am a firm believer in consuming whole foods to get our nutrient requirements, rather than isolated vitamins and minerals. Food will always be the most powerful and easily recognizable for the body.
I try to get my mushrooms and herbs in using powdered blends, or in whole form whenever available. For this creamy cardamom elixir, I used a mushroom/herbal blend by a small BC based company called Harmonic Arts. They specialize in herbal tinctures, syrups, dual extracted mushroom powders, and superfood blends. They have a wide array of awesome products, and I highly suggest checking them out here.
This creamy cardamom elixir is the perfect beverage for a cold winter’s day to replace your coffee in the mornings, and it is also packed with health benefits. It contains Lion’s Mane, which is one of my favourite medicinal mushrooms. In addition to being immune supportive, Lion’s Mane also supports cognitive function and nerve health. It actually prevents memory loss, and there have been studies shown to prove that Lion’s Mane can actually build new synapses in your brain. Who doesn’t want to have new synapses being formed in their brain? Honestly!
As we age, we can all benefit from the support that Lion’s Mane provides when it comes to brain health. The elixir blend also contains cardamom (one of my favourite spices!), lucuma (natural superfood sweetener/tastes like maple), coconut cream powder (yum! creaminess), mucuna pruriens extract (mood boosting superfood), green tea pollen, lotus pollen, and coconut water crystals. This blend is meant to be uplifting, and balancing on the body.
I always love spicing up my elixirs, so I decided to add some Astragalus powder, which is another wonderful immune boosting herb. Traditionally used in Chinese Medicine, Astragalus has amazing immune boosting properties. It is meant to be taken in small doses all year round to help build immune health. Great to be using especially during cold & flu season! This elixir is so so incredibly creamy because of the goat whey and coconut oil, and feels like a warming hug. If you are looking for an immune boosting tonic, I highly suggest trying this creamy mushroom elixir out. Feel free to play with the ingredients to suit your liking. That is the beauty of elixir crafting (and recipe crafting in general), experimentation is key!
Creamy Cardamom Mushroom Elixir
- 2 cups organic milk, almond milk, cashew milk or coconut milk
- 1 tbsp herbal tea of your choice, I used a blend of french lavender, lemon balm, avena sativa, chamomile, honey bush, catnip, skullcap, linden leaf tulsi and apple
- 1 tsp MCT oil or organic coconut oil
- 1 tsp organic maple syrup, or any natural sweetener of your choice
- 1-2 tbsp Harmonic Arts Elevate elixir blend powder, contains cardamom, lucuma, coconut cream powder, lions mane mushroom, mucuna pruriens extract, green tea pollen, lotus pollen, coconut water crystals
- 2 tbsp grass-fed goat whey
- dash of cinnamon
- Start by warming your milk of choice in a small saucepan on med-high heat.
- Once the milk is warmed, add in your tea using a tea strainer or tea bag.
- Let the tea steep for 5-10 minutes to extract all the herbal goodness.
- Once the tea has steeped, add milk mixture into a high speed blender, along with MCT oil, maple syrup, mushroom/superfood powder blend, and goat whey.
- Blend until frothy and then serve with a dash of cinnamon on top!