Recently the weather has gotten a lot colder here then it has been for the last few weeks. With the reemergence of the cold weather, my body has been craving heartier foods, such as root vegetables and potatoes. In addition to more hearty vegetables, I’ve also been dreaming up something creamy, and rich tasting. With all this in mind, I threw together this amazing Creamy Chicken, Mushroom & Vegetable Casserole.
Honestly, this thing is really, really freaking good. I mean, it is addictingly good. That’s just HOW GOOD this casserole is. I wasn’t really sure what to expect or how this dish was going to turn out, but it exceeded all my expectations and more. This casserole consists of chicken, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and celery. A very classic and traditional mix of ingredients. All these ingredients are then smothered in a creamy, buttery, parmesan cheese sauce. The cheese sauce almost becomes gravy-like once it has been baking in the oven with all the other glorious goodness. So, just imagine eating chicken and potatoes with a side of gravy, but then having this casserole which is basically chicken, potatoes and veggies smothered in a gravy, cheese sauce. Can I get a heck yes?!
This casserole is the definition of pure comfort food. It is precisely what my body has been craving the last couple of days. I’ve been eating a lot of amazing salads, and my body has been thanking me for that, but sometimes you just know when it is time to break out the good ol’ comfort food. Balance, people. Balance!
This casserole will feed a lot of people and is quick to prepare, so it is great for those weeknight meals. It also tastes even better after it has had a day for all the flavours to meld together in the fridge. I served this up with a bit of parsley on top and chunk of sourdough bread slathered in butter. It was perfection. You have to try it out for yourself to know what I am talking about. You won’t be disappointed!
Creamy Chicken, Mushroom Vegetable Casserole
- 3 cups potatoes, cubed and boiled
- 3-4 chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 onion, diced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- parsley for garnish
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1. Start by boiling the potatoes. Place potatoes in a medium stock pot filled with boiling water. Boil potatoes for about 20 minutes until soft.2. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and grease a casserole dish.3. Place the flour into a bowl. Season chicken breast strips with salt and pepper and then cover in the flour.4. Heat a medium skillet on med-high heat with 2 tbsp olive oil. Add in the chicken. Cook for about 10 minutes, until lightly golden.5. When chicken is done, remove from skillet and set aside. Clean out the skillet, and place another 2 tbsp olive oil in it, along with the celery, onions, and carrots. Cook for about 5-8 minutes until slightly soft. Add in the mushrooms, and cook for another 5 minutes. Season the mixture with salt & pepper. Set aside.6. When the potatoes are done boiling, drain and add them to the bottom of the casserole dish. Evenly spread them out to cover the base of the dish.7. Place the chicken on top of the potatoes, and then the vegetable mixture.8. To make the sauce, heat a skillet on medium heat with 3 tbsp butter and add the garlic. Whisk until the butter starts turning slightly brown. 9. Add 3 tbsp flour to mixture and continuing whisking. Then add the lemon juice, water, milk and grated parmesan cheese. Whisk until mixture is fully combined. Season with salt and pepper, and poultry seasoning.10. Remove from heat and pour mixture over the chicken/vegetables. Add some extra parmesan cheese on top and then cover with lid or foil.11. Bake in oven for 45 minutes.12. Remove from oven and cool.13. Serve with a sprinkle of parsley on top!