What’s better than eggs on toast? Egg In Hole Toasts with Avocado, duh! Honestly though, these egg in hole toasts are so yummy and totally take your breakfast to the next level. Super easy to make, these egg in hole toasts with avocado consist of only a handful of ingredients: bread, eggs, avocado, parmesan, some seasoning and fresh herbs. That’s it! There is no excuse to not eat healthy foods for breakfast when breakfast is this simple to make.
My favourite healthy breakfast for the longest time was avocado toast. It’s so easy to toss together, especially when you are on the go. The nice thing about these egg in hole toasts is that they provide you with some protein to go along with all your lovely healthy fats from the avocado.
As we slowly transition from winter to spring, we start to lighten up our meals. This egg in hole avocado toast is the perfect kind of breakfast at any time of the year, but especially during the spring and summer. It’s so quick, filling and a little lighter, compared to say, a big heaping bowl of hot oatmeal!
There is a little bit of parmesan cheese melted onto the toast, which adds some extra richness. The creamy avocado creates a nest for the egg to sit in which makes these toasts look oh so cute! In addition to being a delicious breakfast, these are also fun to make.
TO MAKE EGG IN HOLE TOAST
You will need to use a round cookie cutter to get the perfect circular shape. You can also use the rim of a mug or mason jar, which is what I did. Believe it or not, I don’t own any round cookie cutters. Weird! I found the mason jar rim to work just fine! The trick to making these toasts is that you want to make sure that the egg is fully set before removing it from the pan. If the egg is not fully set, than the toast could easily fall apart in the pan. Nobody wants that!
Additionally, make sure your avocados are nice & ripe and smash them separately in a bowl before putting them on the toast. Mashing your avocados separately really allows you to evenly distribute flavour from whatever spices you are using. It’s really important to season your avocado mash because this will impart more flavours. Using a bit of salt is definitely key!
If you are looking for more avocado toast variations, check out my Avocado Toast with Balsamic Glazed Tomatoes.
If you end up trying this recipe or any of my recipes, please be sure to tag #seasonshealings on Instagram. I would love to see what you come up with!
Egg In Hole Avocado Toast
- 2 slices whole wheat toast/sourdough bread
- 1 tbsp grass fed butter
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 avocado, mashed
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- red chili flakes, optional
- parsley, for garnish
- Using a round cookie cutter (or the rim of a mug) cut out two circles on each slice of bread.
- In a medium skillet on medium-high heat, add butter and melt. Add in the slices of bread and layer the parmesan cheese around the outside of each slice. Toast each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Crack each egg into a small dish and then place in the cut out circle of each slice of bread. Put lid on the skillet and turn heat down to low-medium. Cook until egg yolks are set, about 5 minutes.
- When done, remove from skillet. In a bowl, mash the avocado, add the lime juice, salt and pepper. Using a fork, spread the avocado mixture around each egg. Add a sprinkle of chili flakes. Serve!