It is the beginning of the week and I haven’t had a chance to go grocery shopping, so I’ve been trying to do this thing where I try to use up everything in my fridge so that nothing goes to waste. Enter this Greek Style Chicken dish!
I absolutely hate having to throw food away, especially when it could’ve been eaten throughout the week. There are so many options when it comes to using up your food/preventing it from going bad. What do you do to prevent food waste? I often will try to freeze veggies if I notice they are expiring soon, so that I can use them later in smoothies.
Greek Meets Italian
In my attempt at being less wasteful with food, I put together this recipe. It is definitely not a traditional Greek dish by any means. If anything, it is more of a Greek meets Italian style dish. It’s a great week day meal because you can cook it up in around 30 minutes or less. The beauty of this dish is that you can really add or take away depending on what you are trying to achieve. I feel that this would’ve tasted really great with some homemade tzatziki on top. You could even opt out of making the orzo and just made the chicken to slice up and put into some pita bread. Delissio!
I really love the basil & garlic infused olive oil in this Greek Style Chicken dish. It was my first time experimenting with basil oil and I have to say that a little definitely goes a long way! It’s abundantly flavourful and works really well with the tomatoes. I have also been experimenting with balsamic glaze, and I have to ask myself why it has taken me so long to discover this magical glaze? It is so delicious on EVERYTHING I’ve put it on so far. Of course, tomatoes and balsamic is a match made in heaven. The tomatoes add a lovely acidity to the dish. I love roasted tomatoes, especially roma tomatoes and heirloom. Mmm..
Instead of using roasted tomatoes in this dish, you could also add sundried tomatoes and that would also be really good. I am very happy with how this one turned out and I am hoping to try out some more Greek style recipes in the coming future since I just love those Grecian flavours!
This recipe is inspired by the lovel HBH. Please check out her blog here!
Greek Style Chicken with Orzo & Roasted Tomatoes
- 4 tbsp garlic infused extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp basil infused extra virgin olive oil
- 3 roma tomatoes, sliced
- assortment of organic chicken thighs, drumsticks, chicken breast
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- dash of salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp nonna pia’s balsamic glaze + 1 tsp for drizzling on the tomatoes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup of orzo
- 2 1/4 cup of no salt added chicken broth
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup of goat’s milk feta cheese
- basil, for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on med-high heat with the garlic olive oil and then add the chicken. Add in chili powder, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper, and balsamic glaze.
- Cook chicken on medium-high heat for about 5-10 minutes until cooked all the way through.
- While chicken is cooking, slice tomatoes and add to a baking sheet. Add basil olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. Roast in oven for about 10 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from pan and set aside. Add in a little more garlic olive oil, and sliced yellow pepper. Cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add in orzo pasta and chicken broth. Cook the orzo until it is soft, usually takes about 8 minutes. Stir orzo consistently to prevent sticking to pan. Orzo should be creamy in texture when done.
- Once the orzo is done, add the chicken back to the skillet. The roasted tomatoes should be done at this point, so add them to the skillet as well.
- Top with kalamata olives and feta cheese and basil leaves. Enjoy!