Looking for an easy and healthy weeknight meal? Look no further. I’ve got you covered! This Harissa Chicken with Sweet Potatoes & Carrots is a simple and delicious dish that takes place in one pan. This dish is jam packed full of flavour from the Harissa. It is sweet, spicy and even tangy!
What is Harissa?
Harissa is a Tunisian chili paste. It definitely has a bit of kick to it, but it’s not overly spicy. It has a bit of a flowery flavour to it (probably from the rose & saffron), which contrasts nicely with the heat from the chili peppers. Harissa is a great marinade for meats and vegetables because it imparts so much flavour. Harissa is not the easiest spice to come by. You might have to go to a speciality culinary grocery store to find it. I found mine at Winners in the food section. (I love Winners!) You can also find it on Amazon here.
The beautiful thing about this Harissa chicken is that it takes place in one dish. You literally put all the ingredients on a baking sheet and then cook it. I can’t stress enough how much I LOVE these kinds of meals. This Harissa Chicken is such a great meal for the busy weekdays. It’s healthy, quick to make and you’ll have leftovers. What’s not to love?
While my partner and I were mowing down on all this deliciousness, he commented on how this Harissa chicken was ‘last meal good’ and I agree! It IS last meal good. I’m all about meals with tons of flavour and this Harissa chicken totally delivers. You have to try it for yourself to know what we are talking about! 😉
For more recipes like this one, please be sure to check out my recipe page for more dinner ideas!
Harissa Chicken with Sweet Potatoes & Carrots
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 chicken thighs
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 purple onion, quarted
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- juice of a lemon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1/4 cup green olives, drained
- 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- fresh dill for garnish
- 1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil on a large baking sheet/casserole dish.2. Add the diced sweet potato, carrots and onions. Toss in the olive oil. Add the black pepper, salt and cumin.3. Next, add the chicken pieces to the dish. Add the harissa paste, honey and lemon juice and toss to coat all the chicken and vegetables. Place lemon slices on the chicken and veg.4. Bake in oven for 40-45 minutes.5. When done, add the chopped pistachios, pomegranate arils, green olives and dill. Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt or as is! Enjoy!