Happy Blood Moon, friends! The moon was looking mighty spectacular last night. I tried to capture a decent shot of it but my iPhone failed to deliver. That’s okay though, because I got to witness its beauty first hand!
On a more food related note, I realize that I already posted a Shakshuka recipe on the blog way back when, but honestly, this dish is just too good not to have multiple variations on it. It’s a really healthy breakfast alternative that is packed full of flavour. This version contains some different vegetables and spices compared to the previous recipe. I had some kale & mushrooms that were starting to look sort of sad, so I figured what better way to use them up then to cook them down into a delicious dish like Shakshuka?!
Quick & Easy
This meal is incredibly easy to make and only requires a few ingredients and spices. You can serve this as is or even with some sourdough bread or potatoes. There is something so delicious about eggs mixed with tomato sauce. I never thought I’d be into that combination upon first inspection, but there is something so magical about it. I think the acidity in the tomatoes really lends itself well to the creamy, fat egg yolks. They just work together!
On a side note: can we chat about this ceramic braising pan for two seconds? Honestly, life changing! I don’t know why it has taken me this long to start using ceramic cookware (probably because they are more expensive) but I’m so impressed by how easy it is to cook with and to clean. I will definitely be investing in some more of these pieces over the next little while…Le Creuset here I come. Do any of you have any feedback regarding ceramic cast iron cookware? Leave comments below!
Kale & Mushroom Shakshuka
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1 cup kale, shredded
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 28 oz can whole plum tomatoes with juices, coarsely chopped
- 5 eggs
- crumbled goat cheese, feta, basil, cilantro, etc (your choice)
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add the next nine ingredients. Cook and stir until vegetables are softened for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Break an egg into a small dish and slip egg into tomato mixture. Repeat with the rest of the eggs; reduce heat. Cook covered for 5-10 minutes or until eggs are set. Top with cheese, basil/cilantro or oregano.