This is the salad of my dreams. Since summer hit, I’ve definitely done my fair share of indulging in all the summery sweets, and deep fried delicacies you can think of. My body has been craving greens, and vegetables to offset all the acidic foods I’ve been consuming. Coming across this salad has reignited my interest in GREENS again, making me feel inspired to create more salad recipes. This Mixed Green Herb Salad with Red Wine Shallot Vinaigrette is my new favourite salad. It will quickly become yours too once you try it!
Let’s talk ingredients. This salad recipe consist of lots of leafy greens, including spinach, and butter lettuce. You could even add some baby kale if you had some on hand. In addition, it also has plenty of fresh herbs, such as mint leaves, dill and chives. Adding herbs to a salad really elevates the flavour. I absolutely love adding herbs to my foods. They provide so much flavour and are literally the easiest ingredient to add to any dish because you can GROW THEM in your own backyard. You can truly add any herbs you’d like to amplify your salad.
For vegetables, I’ve kept it simple by adding some fresh snow peas and celery. Have fun chopping your veggies, so that you can have varying shapes & sizes in your salad, adding more texture and making for an interesting looking salad. I also added some pistachios to this mixed green salad for a little more crunch and healthy fats!
The red wine vinaigrette is very simple. It features shallots, garlic, red wine vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, salt & pepper and some extra virgin olive oil. The trick with the vinaigrette is to make sure you are thoroughly whisking all the ingredients, so that the vinaigrette is slightly on the thicker side. Be sure to add the olive oil in at the very end for the best results!
SHARING IS CARING
As always, if you make this herb salad, please remember to share it on social media and tag me @seasonshealings. I want to see your lovely creations!
Recipe adapted from Sophia Roe.
Mixed Layered Herb Salad with Red Wine Shallot Vinaigrette
Red Wine Shallot Vinaigrette
- 1/2 shallot, diced finely
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Mixed Layered Herb Salad
- 2 cup spinach
- 6 butter lettuce leaves
- 1 tbsp mint leaves
- 1 cup snow peas, chopped
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped roughly
- 1/4 cup pistachos
- 1 celery rib, peeled & chopped on the diagonal
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- Combine the shallot, garlic, red wine vinegar, and maple syrup. Whisk until combined.
- As you are whisking, pour in the extra virgin olive oil and whisk until fully incorporated. The dressing should be slightly thick. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- To assemble the salad, start with a layer of some of the spinach, the butter lettuce, mint leaves, snow peas, chives, pistachios, and dill. Create another layer on top of this layer with the same ingredients.
- Pour vinaigrette over the outside of the salad bowl and continue in a circular motion until you've gotten to the centre of the salad. Give the salad a light toss (avoid overmixing). Serve!