Lately I’ve been thinking about outdoor picnics and all the lovely foods involved in such events. One of these foods is potato salad. My Mom always made the most delicious creamy, mayo-infused potato salad. She would always make it for family gatherings or BBQs. The potato salad I am going to share today is a healthified version of potato salad. It is Potato Salad with Avocado Spirulina Tahini Dressing & Crispy Chickpeas. Filled with healthy fats & vegan friendly.
TWICED BAKED POTATOES
The process of making these potatoes may seem laborious at first, but trust me, it is so worth the wait. The potatoes are boiled first to make them slightly soft, and then roasted for 30 minutes at 375 degrees F. They will start to crisp up at this point. They are then removed from the oven and gently mashed using a potato masher.
You don’t want to turn them into mashed potatoes. Instead try to keep their shape but just mash them enough to even out the surface area to cover the baking sheet. Place them back into the oven and bake for another 15-25 minutes. When they are done, you will have the most crispy, creamy and delicious potatoes imaginable!
VEGAN POTATO SALAD
I am really happy to report that this potato salad is completely vegan. The dressing consists of avocado, tahini, spirulina, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil & some seasoning. The avocado makes the dressing super creamy, in the same way that mayonnaise would. However, avocado is filled with lots of healthy fats that are much better for you.
I love making crispy chickpeas as a salad topper or to just snack on. They are so easy to make and add a lovely texture to any dish. Plus, they are filled with lots of healthy plant based protein! For these crispy chickpeas, I used a Persian seasoning that I picked up from my local spice shop. I’ve been waiting for a good opportunity to use it and I thought it would go nicely on the chickpeas.
It is an extremely fragrant spice consisting of cardamom, rose petals, cinnamon and dried black limes, as well as other Eastern spices. If you can’t get your hands on some Persian seasoning, you can definitely make your own or use whatever seasoning you’d like for this potato salad recipe.
SHARING IS CARING
As always, if you make this Potato Salad with Avocado Spirulina Tahini Dressing & Crispy Chickpeas recipe, please remember to share it on social media and tag me @seasonshealings. I want to see your lovely creations!
Potato Salad with Avocado Spirulina Tahini Dressing & Crispy Chickpeas
- 10 small to medium sized yellow potatoes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- pinch of salt & pepper
Avocado Spirulina Tahini Dressing
- 1 avocado
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- himalayan salt & pepper, to taste
Crispy Persian Spiced Chickpeas
- 1 can organic chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 2 1/2 tbsp Persian spice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot with water to a boil and add the potatoes. Boil for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Season chickpeas with extra virgin olive oil and Persian spice. Add to a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes while the potatoes are boiling.
- Meanwhile, work on the avocado spirulina dressing. Combine avocado, garlic, lemon juice, spirulina, tahini, water, salt & pepper to a food processor. Process until combined. Set aside.
- When the potatoes are done boiling, drain and transfer to a baking sheet. Do not crowd the baking sheet. Make sure all the potatoes have enough surface area to cook. Toss with extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder, salt & pepper. Transfer to 375 degree oven and roast for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes of cooking, flip the potatoes and using a potato masher, lightly mash each of the potatoes down on the baking sheet. Transfer back into the oven for another 15-20 minutes.
- After the potatoes are done, add to a mixing bowl with the avocado tahini spirulina dressing and top with the crispy Persian chickpeas. Serve as a side dish or main.