Please tell me it’s not too late for pumpkin muffins?! Didn’t think so!
I tend not to abide by rules surrounding eating particular foods around different holidays. I will eat pumpkin any time I damn well please! If you ever had your doubts about pumpkin, these pumpkin muffins with cinnamon sugared pecans will change the way you think about pumpkin.
A little note on sugar
This recipe was adapted from a Donna Hay recipe. I healthified it a little more because that is what I do. Try to healthify things! There is significantly less sugar in this version, and yet these still have a nice sweetness to them. These days we are so accustomed to eating super sugary foods that we often forget how little sugar we actually need to achieve a sweet flavour. I try to substitute sugar for natural sweeteners whenever possible for health reasons and because I actually prefer the subtler taste of natural sweeteners. This recipe includes maple syrup and coconut sugar, which are two of my favourite sugar substitutes!
Benefits of Pumpkin
These muffins have a lovely golden hue due to the pumpkin puree in the recipe. You could definitely use raw pumpkin and bake it up instead of pumpkin puree, but I opted for puree this time around. Pumpkin comes from the squash family and is a very rich source of vitamins. It also contains some protein to give you sustained energy throughout the day. Additionally, the sugared pecans on the top add a dose of healthy fats and a lovely crunch to the muffins. These pumpkin cinnamon sugar pecan muffins would make a great breakfast item or a quick snack.
If you are feeling really adventurous, I would also suggest drizzling some melted grass-fed butter on top of these and I am sure it would taste divine!
For more recipes from Donna Hay, check out her site here.
Pumpkin Muffins with Cinnamon Sugar Pecans
- 4 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups self raising flour, or 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour + 1 tbsp of baking powder & 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Place the pumpkin puree, coconut sugar, and maple syrup in a large bowl and stir.
- To make the cinnamon sugar pecans, place pecans, coconut sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in a bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Place flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon and 1/4 cup of the pecan mixture in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, coconut oil, and pumpkin mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Divide mixture between 12 x 1/2 cup capacity well-greased muffin tins. Spoon the cinnamon sugar pecans on top of the muffins, pressing them gently.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Set aside to cool for 2 minutes in the tins before serving! Enjoy!