I’m all about simple breakfasts these days. I love anything that comes together in a short amount of time, yet still holds lots of flavour and is on the healthy side. This Rainbow Chard Breakfast Hash with Bacon & Scrambled Eggs is just the right kind of meal to get you going on the morning. If the smell of sizzling bacon on the stove isn’t enough to get you out of bed in the morning, then I don’t know what will…
ANATOMY OF A BREAKFAST HASH
This breakfast hash consists of rainbow chard (both leaves and stalks), mushrooms, bacon and halloumi cheese. A handful of ingredients and you get a delicious breakfast packed with so much flavour! The bacon drippings are used to flavour the entire dish. It isn’t really necessary to add salt to this because the bacon & halloumi are salty enough as is. Of course, the bacon adds wonderful flavour to the chard and mushrooms.
I must admit, I’ve been a little intimidated by chard. I’ve always wanted to experiment with it, but for some reason my brain over complicated things and thought that it was way more difficult to cook with then it actually is. Isn’t it funny how our brains trick us into believing things? Anyways, now that I’ve cooked with it and realized that it’s not so scary to use, I have a feeling I will be incorporating it into more of my dishes.
It can be used the same way as any type of green really. Chard tends to be less heartier than kale. I love using the colourful stalks because they make the dish look so beautiful. I love getting greens in first thing in the morning, and I usually opt for kale or spinach but I think I will be using rainbow chard over the next little while. If you have any more suggestions for cooking with rainbow chard, please share in the comments below. I’m curious to know how everyone else prepares their chard.
SCRAMBLED EGG BREAKFAST HASH
Scrambled eggs are honestly one of my favourite breakfast foods. When I was a child, I would always ask my Mom to make me scrambled eggs for breakfast everyday, or when I’d go over to a friends house, I’d ask their parents to make me scrambled eggs too. It has been a go-to of mine since forever. I’m always looking for ways to spice up my scrambled egg game.
Adding scrambled eggs alongside some greens is an excellent way to get more micronutrients into your diet. The eggs provide a great source of healthy protein & fats, while the greens contain all those wonderful micronutrients that the body needs.
SHARING IS CARING
As always, if you make this Rainbow Chard Breakfast Hash, be sure to share your creations and tag me @seasonshealings. I want to see the magic you create!
BREAKFAST RECIPE IDEAS
Rainbow Chard Breakfast Hash with Scrambled Eggs
Rainbow Chard Hash
- 1 bunch rainbow chard with stalks, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4-6 slices halloumi cheese
- salt & pepper, to taste
- fresh dill, for garnish
- Preheat a skillet on medium high heat and add the diced bacon bits. Cook for around 5 minutes until the bacon starts to get a little crispy.
- Add in the mushrooms. Cook for another 3 minutes, and then add in the rainbow chard. Season with garlic powder, salt & pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes until the chard is soft.
- Remove the chard & set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs. Add them to the same skillet and cook for about 4 minutes. Season with salt & pepper and fresh dill.
- Set the eggs aside. In a small skillet on medium-high heat, add the halloumi slices and fry for about 3 minutes per side. You’ll know the halloumi is done with it is crispy on both sides.
- To assemble your plate, add the chard to one side of your plate and then the scrambled eggs. Top with fried halloumi and more fresh dill. Enjoy!