These raspberry beet chocolate brownies are the real deal. They are decadent, they are rich, they are fudgey, but they also have a fun and vibrant ingredient in them that is full of nutrients…..
Benefits of Beets
Beets are high in phytonutrients called betalains. The betalain gives the beets their richly pigmented magenta colour. Beets are a good source of vitamin c, potassium and iron. They also help to oxygenate the blood, which make them a terrific food to consume post-workout. Additionally, they are fantastic for promoting detoxification in the body.
I must admit, I never grew up eating beets. In fact, I didn’t even know what a beet was until my early 20s. Once I discovered how healthy these root vegetables were for the body, I knew that I needed to incorporate them into my diet somehow. When I first tried them, I was put off by the taste, as they have a very unique flavour. Earthy and slightly sweet. As I started experimenting with different ways of preparing them, I managed to figure out ways to make them more palatable.
This brownie recipe is a fantastic way to start getting beets into your diet. Although, I probably wouldn’t recommend eating these raspberry beet chocolate brownies every single day. 😛 My partner isn’t a fan of beets at all and he even enjoyed this brownie recipe. He is one of the pickiest eaters I know, so if I can get his seal of approval on these, then I know I am doing something right!
Chocolate Beet Brownies
One of my favourite (and more indulgent) ways to eat beets is by mixing them with chocolate. Yes, you heard me. Beets and chocolate. It may sound strange at first, but trust me, you will not be disappointed! How can you go wrong with chocolate? Let’s be honest! It pairs well with just about anything.
So, when I say to mix your beets with chocolate I am referring to making these Raspberry Chocolate Beet Brownies. These brownies are intense. They are so chocolatey, sweet and sour with a slight tint of earthiness from the beets. I am a huge fan of fudgy brownies instead of cakey brownies. I need all that squishy, ooey gooey goodness! These are definitely a treat, though you may have to restrain yourself from eating all of them in one sitting (if your stomach can handle it!) because they are so good.
Life is about balance. We all need a bit of chocolate beet brownies in our lives!
Every now and again we need to allow our bodies to indulge in some sweetness! This brownie recipe with beets is a great way to satisfy that sweet tooth, and feel somewhat good about it because you’re eating BEETS and beets are good for you. 😉
For more dessert recipes, check out my dessert page here.
Raspberry Beetroot Chocolate Brownies
- 1 cup melted extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp organic grass-fed butter
- 1 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 4 large free range organic eggs
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup beets, grated
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup organic whole wheat flour
- 1 cup organic raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup of dark, roughly chopped chocolate
- 2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate pieces, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 7×11 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine melted coconut oil, butter, coconut sugar and brown sugar.
- Crack in eggs one by one and then mix in vanilla extract, and sea salt. Stir until evenly combined.
- Add grated beets and stir.
- Sift in flour, cacao powder. Gently fold dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Do not over mix!
- Fold in chocolate pieces and raspberries.
- Bake for 30-50 minutes until brownies are set.
- Remove from oven and let sit and cool.
- As the brownies are cooling, prepare the icing.
- Heat a sauce pan on low-medium heat, add extra virgin coconut oil, maple syrup, cacao powder and chocolate pieces.
- Stir and ensure all the chocolate is melted down. Keep an eye on the chocolate as you do not want it to burn. This process should take around 2-3 minutes.
- Once the icing is done, spread evenly over top of the brownies. Top with pomegranate seeds and serve!
- Enjoy the fudgy, decadent deliciousness that is these brownies!