You have no idea how excited I am to share this recipe with you guys! I have been daydreaming about this cranberry pear galette all week. After a busy week, I finally found the time to bring this dream to life!
This weekend the holiday baking is in full swing at my household. I didn’t get around to doing a lot of baking earlier in the month, since I’ve been so busy, but I am so happy that I have a little bit of time now to get my baking on! This cranberry pear galette was at the top of my list. I really wanted to test out baking with cranberries, since I’ve never really used them in anything else besides salads & cranberry sauce. I love the tartness & sourness of cranberries contrasted with some sweetness. So, I thought to myself: what better way to fuse together these two flavours then with a cranberry pear galette?
I think I might prefer galettes to pies. I love how rustic and wholesome they look. They’re also very beautiful because all of the lovely fruit is exposed. I haven’t made many galettes in my lifetime, but anytime I have, they’ve always turned out very delicious! There is something about hot, bubbly, softened fruit and pastry…it just works so well together. Yum!
I picked up some gorgeous organic bosc pears from my local organic market yesterday, and they ended up tasting so wonderful in this galette. I love using fresh, local and organic produce whenever possible. It honestly tastes so much better than conventional produce, and is more nutritionally dense. I highly recommend using organic fruit in this galette if you want the most flavour.
Pears are one of those fruits that I don’t often think of until this time of year. They are so underrated, and taste so good in different kinds of dishes. I have very fond memories of pears as a child. I grew up with a large pear tree in my backyard. I remember picking them, sprinkling sugar on them and eating them in the grass. So good! I also remember picking a bunch and tossing them into our neighbors yard with my friends. Our neighbor didn’t like that very much, to say the very least!
Making Pie Crust
I know some people may be intimidated by the thought of making a pie crust, but if I’m being perfectly honest, this crust comes together quite easily. You do have to let it rest in the fridge for an hour, but once it is rested and you roll it out, you’ll be good as gold!
This cranberry pear galette is so good. It might be one of the best things I’ve ever made. There is a lot of flavour happening here. I really wanted to add more, other than just the cranberry and the pear. So, I added a few different spices: cinnamon, ginger, and allspice. They really add a festive flavour to the galette. In addition to spices, I zested it up with some orange and lemon to really bring out the flavours of the fruit. I feel all the flavours compliment each other really well.
To serve this, I suggest topping it with some fresh mint and coconut whip cream. The creaminess of the coconut whip goes nicely with the fruit, and the mint adds a freshness to the galette. This is honestly, so, so good. My partner and I basically ate the whole thing for breakfast. If you are bringing this to a holiday party, I would suggest doubling the recipe or making two because chances are, one of these will NOT last!
Recipe loosely adapted by Hearth & Vine.
Spiced Cranberry Pear Galette
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup unsalted, grass-fed butter, cut up into small pieces (cold butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 3-4 organic Bosc pears, sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 cup fresh, organic cranberries
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- almond flour
- coarse sugar
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Start by making the crust by mixing the flour, salt, and coconut sugar in a food processor.
- Add the butter and pulse until the dough starts coming together.
- Add ice water as the processor is mixing until the dough is all combined.
- Remove dough from food processor and roll into a flat ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile toss the cranberries, pear slices, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, orange zest, lemon juice, orange juice and coconut sugar in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- After the dough has been refrigerated for one hour, remove and sprinkle counter surface with flour to prevent the dough from sticking. Roll out into something that resembles a circle.
- Place the dough on a baking sheet and then pile up the filing in the middle of the dough.
- 10. Gently fold over the outside edges, about 2 inches. Brush edges with egg wash, and sprinkle with a dusting of almond flour and coarse sugar.
- 11. Brush with the egg wash and bake for about 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- 12. When the galette is done, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- 13. Serve with fresh mint leaves and coconut whip cream on top!