I’ve been meaning to start testing out some recipes from an old Donna Hay magazine I picked up a couple of years back. The photos in her magazines are always so incredibly inspiring, and the recipes just sound so delicious. I decided to experiment with a few of her recipes today, including this delightful sweet potato soup.
Japanese Sweet Potatoes
I had some leftover Japanese sweet potatoes sitting in my fridge from last week, and I’ve been getting a little bored of just roasting them up, so coming across this recipe worked out really well! Have you ever tried Japanese sweet potatoes? They are my absolute favourite kind of sweet potato. I only just discovered them recently and I have been hooked ever since. They are definitely a lot sweeter than regular sweet potatoes. They taste amazing smothered in some coconut oil, yum! Unlike their brownish-orange counterpart, Japanese sweet potatoes are purple in colour on the outside and are more yellowish when peeled. They are also extremely high in antioxidants and are considered to be more nutrient dense then regular sweet potatoes. I highly suggest trying them.
I used a combination of Japanese sweet potatoes and regular sweet potatoes for this recipe. Four sweet potatoes yielded just the right amount of soup for me. This soup took very little time to make, which is one of the reasons why I really enjoyed making it. The perfect kind of soup to make if you are in a hurry. Lately I’ve been trying to add one big batch of soup to my weekly meal prep at the beginning of the week. I find it’s a really great way to ensure you’re getting lots of veggies in throughout the week!
So, this soup is definitely on the sweeter side because of the sweet potatoes, but the harissa adds an exotic kick to the soup, and the tahini adds a bit of a nutty flavour. It’s a unique combination of flavours. I really love the taste of harissa! If you have trouble finding it, you might be able to find it at a Turkish specialty food shop or even in the ethnic foods isle of your local grocery store.
The crispy chickpeas on top add a lovely little crunch and some added protein! I should mention that this sweet potato soup is both vegetarian and vegan if made with vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
For more information on Donna Hay, check out her website!
Sweet Potato Harissa Soup with Crispy Chickpeas
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 3-4 sweet potatoes, I used Japanese sweet potatoes and regular sweet potatoes
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth/vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp tahini
- micro greens/other herbs for garnish, I used basil
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- sea salt and black pepper
- Start by heating the olive oil in a large saucepan over med-high heat.
- Add onion, and garlic and saute for 4-6 minutes until they are softened and lightly browned.
- Add smoked paprika, tomato paste and harissa and cook, stirring for 1 more minute.
- Add in the chopped sweet potatoes and the stock.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 8-10 minutes or until sweet potato is just tender.
- Remove from the heat, add the tahini and stir to combine.
- Once everything is combined, add to high speed blender to puree.
- To make the crispy chickpeas, add oil to a skillet and heat the pan over high heat.
- Add the chickpeas, salt and pepper, and cook for 4-6 minutes until crispy.
- Divide into bowls and serve with salt & pepper, crispy chickpeas and microgreens on top!