I’ve been yearning for spring and summer lately. The winter always feels so long, even though we haven’t had much of a winter this year. It feels like we are in this weird, in-between stage of fall/winter/spring here. I don’t even know how to describe it. I’ve had spring/summer produce on my mind these days, specifically watermelons…Inspired by all these wandering images of watermelons and summer vegetables floating around my brain, I came up with this watermelon radish, fennel & mandarin salad. I managed to get some watermelon radishes from the organic market I work at after convincing our produce manager to bring them in just for me! (mwhaha!)
This salad is the definition of FRESH. It tastes so fresh, green, earthy and peppery. The hints of citrus from the mandarins and lemon vinaigrette really give it some tang! I love how easily this salad comes together. It’s so healthy, and full of vibrancy.
Gosh, how gorgeous are watermelon radishes? Honestly. Little mini watermelons that taste nothing like actual watermelons. Nature constantly amazes me. Has anyone ever tried pickled watermelon radishes? They are next on my list of things to pickle. I’ve heard that they taste sweet when they are pickled. Can’t wait to try that out!
A little poetic sweetness…
“In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar.” – Richard Brautigan
I love those two words together: watermelon sugar. This line comes from a wonderful book called “In Watermelon Sugar” by Richard Brautigan. It has absolutely nothing to do with watermelons, but it is an amazing book…
I have been toying with the idea of having a couple writerly friends of mine collaborate with me on some recipe posts. The idea would be that they would write a story based on the recipe that was being shared. I think we are definitely going to make it happen in the future…so, stay tuned!
Watermelon Radish, Fennel, & Mandarin Salad with Lemon Honey Vinaigrette
- 2 heads romaine, chopped
- 1 watermelon radish, sliced into quarters
- 1/2 english cucumber, sliced into matchsticks
- 1-2 mandarins, peeled
- 1/2 fennel bulb, sliced
- 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1-2 tbsp raw honey
- 2 lemons, squeezed
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Start by making the dressing by adding all the ingredients into a mason jar and giving it a good shake. Set the dressing aside to sit for about 5 minutes to allow all the flavours to meld together.
- Assemble the salad starting with the chopped romaine, and then add the watermelon radish, fennel, cucumber and mandarins.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and massage gently with hands.
- Top with goat cheese (if desired). ENJOY!